Here’s our fav London (OK and ONE Manchester) gigs for the skint and enthusiastic amongst us (all of us). Let us know any additions/agreements/opinions!
- Clean presents So Young Festival Day 1: MILK DISCO, SPORTS TEAM, VINYL STAIRCASE, SECRET HEADLINER TBA @ The Old Blue Last / Weds 2nd Aug / free entry – RSVP on Dice / first come first served. I’ve not listened to Milk Disco but my friend Sav, who writes for Hey, says they’re awesome, so. Vinyl Staircase are proper regulars in the music scene so the headliner should be pretty impressive if they’re billed above VS!
- NOVA TWINS @ DM Boot Room, Camden / Thurs 3rd Aug / free entry via the DM Boot Room site or the FB event / Amazing bass heavy punk rock with proper edge to it. DM’s Boot Room is a great little space too. It’s first come first served so go early if you wanna get in!
- Clean presents So Young Festival Day 2: HOTEL LUX, CREWEL INTENTIONS, SORRY, SECRET HEADLINER TBA @ The Old Blue Last / Thurs 3rd Aug / free entry – RSVP on Dice / first come first served. So Young are awesome, Old Blue Last is awesome, these bands are awesome, it’s free, I don’t know why I’m writing a little paragraph to convince you because it’s really a no brainer.
- Clean presents So Young Festival Day 3: PALE SEAS, MUSH, THE RHYTHM METHOD, SECRET HEADLINER TBA @ The Old Blue Last / Fri 4th Aug / free entry – RSVP on Dice / first come first served. DAY 3 OF SO YOUNG FESTIVAL.
- PELUCHÉ @ The Shacklewell Arms / Fri 4th Aug / free entry – RSVP on Dice / I think it maybe goes without saying that if it’s free entry it’s first come first served so I will stop pestering you all by incessantly writing it (sorry!). These 3 girls make really beautiful, kind of bizarre, chilled jazz-y melodies. I think it’ll be really cool to see their set up live.
- JOEY FOURR @ Moth Club / Thurs 10th Aug / free entry – RSVP on Dice / The last time I saw Joey Fourr (supporting Dream Wife at The Dome), they set their guitar on fire in the audience. They were a total riot & delight to behold.
- SKATING POLLY @ Sebright Arms / Fri 11th Aug / free entry – RSVP on Dice / OK THIS ONE YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO GO TO, SKATING POLLY ARE THE BEST BAND I’VE HEARD ALL YEAR, THEY PLAY UTTERLY PERFECTLY, THEY’RE IN THE MIDST OF SUPPORTING KATE NASH ON TOUR, THEY JUST DID AN EP WITH LOUISE POST & NINA GORDON OF VERUCA SALT AND THEY ARE TOTALLY TOTALLY BRILLIANT IN THEIR OWN RIGHT.
- COTTON CLOUDS FESTIVAL @ Saddleworth Cricket Club, Greater Manchester / Sat 12th Aug / £40 ish / So this is the Manchester one I mentioned earlier – an independent festival set up by local people who love music, wanting to showcase the best local music around the area. This is Cotton Clouds’ first year running and it should be amazing – Tim Peaks Diner will have a stage, The Coral are headlining, Sugarhill Gang are headlining, PINS are playing (PINS! Yesssss!), our favourites Gardenback are playing – it’ll be a lot of fun. Worth the train up – I’ll be on the early train on the Saturday morning so plz join me.
- SWIMMING GIRLS @ Hoxton Square Bar & Kitchen / Tues 15th Aug / free entry – RSVP on Dice / Swimming Girls just released ‘Tastes Like Money’ on Flying Vinyl, which is a really great track. It sounds kind of sweet but splinter-y and all the better for it. I’m very intrigued to see them live!
That’s only half the month, but should be enough to keep you (me) going for now…